Thank you for selecting us for your root canal therapy. Please follow the guidelines below and contact us with any questions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOLLOWING SURGICAL PROCEDURES:
- It is important not to disturb the treated site if at all possible. Please do not probe the area with your tongue and please try to avoid excessive talking, laughing or use of facial muscles for 24 hours.
- Swelling is normal and should be anticipated around the treated area and in the face. Swelling is usually greatest around 48 hours post operatively and will generally dissipate over the course of a week.
- We recommend using ice packs to minimize swelling. Ice should be pressed lightly over the swollen area for the first 30 minutes after the procedure to promote initial clot formation. At home, using ice packs intermittently for the first two days will help reduce swelling more quickly.
- Please refrain from smoking for 48 hours after surgery. Smoking will inhibit healing and may cause complications that will need further treatment.
- You are welcome to drink cold or iced drinks immediately after surgery. For comfort after surgery, a soft, lukewarm diet is suggested.
- After 48 hours, you are welcome to begin shifting back to your normal diet.
- Please do not rinse or spit for 24 hours following your surgery. Doing so may trigger bleeding or dislodge the protective clot.
- You may be clean the teeth in the treated area with a Q-Tip dipped in mouthwash. All other teeth may be cleaned normally.
- After 24 hours, rinsing gently with warm salt water for the week following your surgery will help to keep the surgical site clean and promote healing.
- Please do not hesitate to call the office with any questions or concerns that you may have.
Flemington Office: 908-788-4990
New Brunswick Office: 732-246-2284
Old Bridge Office: 732-679-8400
Somerville Office: 908-725-6670